Monday, June 20, 2011

June 19 2011 - Morris County Kansas Supercell

This started out as a fixing the truck and had to drive to Emporia to get parts day. I noticed the towers trying to go up a long ways WNW of Emporia and decided I wanted to do a blind chase day rather than get back to the truck repairs.

I kept seeing the towers get blown off and was getting to the point of "why bother" when I noticed that they were rebuilding. Still many miles out I noticed that the cell had a foot even if little precipitation yet. That was enough to keep me going NW, a bit later the foot fell apart and recycled and then I noticed that even the upper clouds seemed to hint of rotation.

June 19 2011 - Morris County Supercell from Northern Chase County

Numerous miles later I managed to get caught up with it still West of Herington for some awesome structure shots. The rotation was amazing.

June 19 2011 - Morris County Supercell

June 19 2011 - Morris County Supercell

June 19 2011 - Morris County Supercell

June 19 2011 - Morris County Supercell

Me being the structure fan I was heading out for better structure when it first produced so I had just left the action area and missed the better position for shots of the funnel. Supposedly this was the tornado but a hill would have kept me from seeing any ground rotation and though the condensation funnel did reach much farther than this shot though very thinly I didn't see contact so funnel it is.

June 19 2011 - Morris County Supercell Funnel

Continuing on for structure and the sunset.

June 19 2011 - Morris County Supercell Sunset

The structure remained amazing with it spinning like a top even through its eventual death in Geary County.

June 19 2011 - Morris County Supercell After Sunset

June 19 2011 - Morris County Supercell - Underneath a Dying Beauty

June 19 2011 - Morris County Supercell - Death is Not Far

June 19 2011 - Morris County Supercell - The Battle is Lost

More photos of the progression of this beast on my Flickr

You can buy prints of these photos at Kansas Horizons

4 comments: